Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Observations of Mental Discipline

I wish to expand on my recent experience learning about one aspect of D/s having to do with the submissive developing greater discipline. In our everyday lives we seem to be running though the day with limited time to stop or relax and unwind. Our minds seem to be constantly moving at that same accelerated pace. I want to compare this idea of mental activity to your first cup of coffee in the morning. I never drink coffee or use stimulants so I am only taking a wild guess but I had a friend describe that first cup of coffee as if a light switch was turned on in the brain. The awareness of the amount of mental activity is what I discovered over the past few weeks as I had been stopping for ten minutes of kneeling and focusing my mental thoughts on Ms B. Speaking to Ms B about my daily kneeling she pointed out the simplicity of my task and I suddenly became embarrassed when I realized how challenging it was for me to complete this simple task. I was amazed how difficult it was to control my mind from wandering off my focus. Not only the obvious distraction like noises, physical responses, or pets determined to get attention, but even the moments without distractions still required great effort to do this one seemingly simple task of focusing on Ms B. I don’t feel so bad anymore now that I have developed a mental routine to help focus my mind on the task and I forgave myself for being so undisciplined in the beginning. One of the lessons I wish emphasize for everyday life is that you can accomplish anything so long as you find and apply the tools of success.

No comments: