Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The B-day Gift of Patients

When I think about birthdays, the first thing I think about is sharing my time with family. Simply visiting my Mom and Dad, chatting over dinner, relaxing in there company would be satisfying enough for me. Some people feel the need to share their day with as many friends and family as possible. For example my friends had had birthdays coming up and they decided to share the occasion with a large group outing at a tavern with over 20 invited guests. MsB has a birthday coming up and I can imagine her day being different yet more focused around her family. In reading my journal I hope MsB will see that I understand how birthdays are filled with unexpected events where time must be patiently divided among numerous people who are important in your life. In fact I would imagine that if we do find time to share together on her birthday, we will be chatting about many of the interesting events of the day, with the occasional phone call filled with warm birthday wishes. I will prepare a few tokens of my esteem but it will not be a time dependant thing so that she can move about the day without feeling any obligation towards me. We can celebrate her Birthday when we both find free time to do so, even if we have to wait a day or two. I am happy to be flexible in this way. I like to think that this is one of the ways that I practice submission to her, in that she knows I am patient and not demanding but I still cherish all the time and attention she rewards me with.

No comments: